Many people are on the look out for the perfect food or a workout that will help them stay fit and fine. But with an increase in the activities one has to perform in a regular day, and the improper and inadequate diets that are being followed, fitness has become a matter of real concern.
There are plenty foods, exercises, and supplements that are available to improve your health and fitness, and CrossFit as a workout includes vigorous and intense movements. It’s a new trend amongst workout routines. But while many may have a rough idea about this form of workout, very few people would actually know the details. So, let’s get introduced to the CrossFit basics.
What is CrossFit?
CrossFit was originally a strength and conditioning program first introduced for military special operations units, police academies, martial arts champion training and strong athletes worldwide. It consists of different kinds of challenging workouts that will help you prepare your body to face practically anything.
Things that you may not know about CrossFit include:
- CrossFit workouts can be performed easily by all ages. Only people with a history of heart attack or stroke need to be careful while doing it.
- Although CrossFit includes intense moves, beginners need not take the intense steps at first. If an individual’s capacity is found to be only 45 pounds, they must first begin with 45 pounds and later move on to higher weights and more intense training.
- Since CrossFit is an intense workout, you will need plenty of motivation. Thus, performing CrossFit within a group or in an environment where people will cheer you on will motivate you to perform better.
Six tips to boost your CrossFit IQ
- Adequately warm up: Warm up is a necessary part of any workout. You cannot begin working out without warming up your body. This helps you to prepare your muscles for the movements during a workout. CrossFit – being more intense than regular forms of workout – requires more warming up since the muscles have to get ready for a series of vigorous moves. This will help prevent muscle injury. It’s best to reach your CrossFit class well beforehand and spend extra time warming up.
- Consult a physician first: As already mentioned above, CrossFit is an accepted form of workout that can be performed by anyone, with very few exceptions. However, people with a history of a heart disease are usually advised to avoid intense movements. If you still think you can perform well, consult a physician to know what’s best for you.
- Be regular: The standard timetable for CrossFit states that it should be performed three times a week, with one rest day in between. But this is a bit much for a newbie or a beginner. You will need to make a slow start to help you workout according to your muscle needs and capacity. The muscles need enough time to recover as well. Slowly building up your intensity will ensure you don’t feel tired easily and will help you cope with the further movements involved in the process.
- Master the techniques: Unlike regular workouts, you can’t simply increase weights in order to demonstrate an ability to do better. CrossFit focuses on techniques rather than the weight that is lifted. Don’t concentrate on the weights that you use, but make sure you master the techniques that you are making use of. Most importantly, a coach is the best person to advise you on the next stage of your workout progression.
- Muscle recovery: Like warming up, this step is also necessary. CrossFit makes you perform intense workouts that may cause you muscles to work more intensively. You need to give your muscles enough time to recover. Muscles usually take anything between 24 hours to 48 hours to recover naturally. But if you want them to recover sooner, a few stretching exercises after a CrossFit session will help you loosen up your muscles and reduce the amount of pain that you may experience later.
- A healthy diet: We all know that diet plays an important role in everything we do. You need enough strength and motivation to perform the exercises included in your CrossFit session. Thus, a nutrient-rich diet will help in strengthening your mind and muscles too. There are also a variety of natural workout supplements available that can assist the other foods that we eat.
What are the advantages of CrossFit?
CrossFit’s intensity has impressed a lot of fitness freaks who consider it gives the best workout results. The advantages of registering yourself for a CrossFit class and attending it regularly include:
- A great community environment: Unlike a gym where you will be left to perform your own workouts alone, at CrossFit you will meet many more people like you and this will motivate you to do better.
- Constant support by your coach: CrossFit is performed under the constant guidance of a well-trained coach. There is no fear of any injuries being caused since you are always watched and warned before something could happen.
- A competitive environment: CrossFit doesn’t only include weight lifting, it also needs you to master the techniques properly. Organized competitions will help you perform better and also master techniques that you may fall a bit short in.
CrossFit is an exciting way to work out and keep you fit. The only things that it requires are mental and physical strength. As mentioned above, some amount of motivation plus a proper diet will help you be prepared to face this challenging form of workout performed “in the box.”